Hello friends! How is the gaming community doing today? Welcome to Emulator Info where we learn about a new emulator every day! Some of these are android emulators, while some are emulators for particular Gaming Consoles and many more.
Our emulator for today is probably the best emulator for Sony PlayStation 2. It is called PCSX2. It lets you play thousands of PS2 games at the ease of your computer screens that too for free! More about this awesome PS2 emulator as we learn How to Download and Install PCSX2 Emulator on Linux along with other details.
LIVE the Adventure!
PCSX2 is an open-source PlayStation 2 emulator for Windows, Linux, and even macOS. This is an easy-to-use, highly customizable, and completely free emulator that can play possibly all games from the legendary PS2 gaming console that too with remarkable functionality and compatibility.
What makes PCSX2 even more stunning is the option to change settings however you like with features like anti-aliasing, 8192×8192 resolution, texture filtering, etc. If you can alter the settings correctly, you might encounter the gameplay to be as good as or even better than the original PS2 console.
Minimum: These are the least specs required in a system to run PCSX2 and play simple basic games
Recommended: Standard specs for a system to run PCSX2 smoothly enough to play high-end games with decent visuals and good FPS
Download and Install PCSX2 on Linux
- Getting the latest and most stable version of PCSX2 for Linux online can be somewhat difficult. So I will just provide command lines from the GitHub repo to copy-paste
sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386 sudo add-apt-repository ppa:Gregory hainaut/pcsx2.official.ppa sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install pcsx2
- Get and load the PS2 BIOS file
- Download the PS2 BIOS file from RomsMania
- Extract the BIOS file to a location of your choice
- Open the PCSX2 app
- Proceed with the usual installation process
- Load all the BIOS files in PCSX2
- The PCSX2 application starts,
- Download Game ROMs from RomsMania or anywhere you wish
- CDVD -> ISO Selector. Browse for the game ROM (.ISO file)
- Select the game you want and open it
- System -> Boot CDVD (full)
- The game has started!
- Double-click the window for full-screen
- Tweak the settings as you like for a better gameplay
- Different games may sometimes need different visual/performance settings.
- Performance and visuals also highly dependent on the game and your system processing speeds
- You can tweak around with OpenGL software/hardware to drastically improve visuals
- You should alter and change settings like Anti-aliasing and other plug-ins only if you know what they do
Features of PCSX2
- Supersmooth gameplay (often better than PS2 itself) on any OS
- PCSX2 supports savestates
- Supports Full HD video recording of gameplay with GSdx plugin
- Options to increase or decrease game speeds
- Unlimited memory cards can be used
- Full support for Gamepad Controller
- PNACH patching files enable the use of Cheat codes
Some FAQs of PCSX2
Is it bad that my CPU load is less than 100%?
No. PCSX2 utilizes only 2 cores. This means if you have a quad-core or Octa-core engine, CPU load will never reach 100%. Even if you have 2 cores (dual-core), threading works in a way that load will never reach 100%. This does not mean PCSX2 is not working to full potential. This is completely normal.
Does my favorite PS2 game work on PCSX2?
Here(https://pcsx2.net/compat) is a list of all the compatible games for PCSX2. It was last checked for the latest v0.9.6. in case of further doubt, try it yourself!
Do PlayStation1 games work on the PCSX2 emulators?
No. PCSX2 Emulator is only for Playstation 2 . you have to use the PlayStation1 emulator for that purpose. We strongly suggest PCSX for it!
Emulator Info’s Words
So far, we have seen How to Download and Install PCSX2 emulator on Linux systems. And we have also learned a lot about this amazing PS2 emulator which has superb customizability and compatibility. Moreover, it is quite easy to install and use; and on top of all of that, it is completely free!
We rate this emulator 4.8 stars out of 5 because of its great functionality of providing Gamers with costly PS2 console games for free on our computer screens. While providing so much for so less, PCSX2 does not compromise with quality either! It gives us the best performance sometimes better than the console itself. So gear up for some PS2 gameplay